One of the main fields of VDD work is counterintelligence. The main goal of counterintelligence measures is to identify and prevent the activities of foreign intelligence services drawn against the sovereignty of the Republic of Latvia, its economic, scientific, technical and military potential as well as national security and other vitally significant interests of our country.
The aim of hostile foreign intelligence and security services is to obtain the information significant to the Republic of Latvia as well as information of strategic significance about:
- internal and foreign political processes;
- the current affairs regarding the national security, inter alia, information concerning the intelligence and security services (the officers, structure, technical equipment and other information which facilitates the understanding about the capacity of intelligence and security services);
- the information about state and municipality officials, who have the access to classified information;
- economic processes;
- businessmen who are active in the strategically significant economic fields;
- other information critical to the development of the country.
Apart from counterintelligence measures implemented to identify and prevent the activities of hostile foreign intelligence and security services in Latvia, VDD also conducts systematic briefing of national authorities aimed at promoting the comprehension of the counterintelligence risks. Counterintelligence is the field in which VDD closely cooperates with both other Latvian intelligence and security services (SAB and MIDD) as well as foreign partner services.